Monday, September 28, 2009

Whirly Bird Cross - So it Begins.

This past week, I finally did something that I've been threatening to do for the past three years - I tried Cross. And I liked it!

Back in the day, I was a relatively competetive runner. I was a middle distance guy on the track, and I loved racing. Specifically, I loved to beat people. I loved to break people. I loved to put myself through an extraordinary amount of pain, just to hear them fade off the back. The past few years, I've been using my mountain bike as a competetive outlet. Sure, I've beaten plenty of riders out there, but for some reason, its just not the same. In a MTB race, I feel, almost lonely - always strung out in no man's land, no idea where my competition is. Nobody there to beat. Nobody there to crack. While it's great fun to push hard on the trails, there's just something missing and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I truly miss whatever it is that I'm missing.

So after one practice and one race, I can tell you that without a doubt, Cross has what I'm missing. Cross has what I need. I'm a little pissed that it took me three years of Competetive mountain biking to finally pull the trigger and give cross a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment